Monday, November 8, 2010

Bio

My name is Devin Seguin.  I was born in San Diego, California.  My dad was a surfer, and I was lucky enough to live close to the beach for most of my youth. Neon wetsuits and surfboards and Jim Phillips skateboards formed an early color palate. Mark Kistler's Secret City captivated me and influenced a lot of my early drawings. I started reading and drawing comics, and Jim Lee, Stephen Platt, and Rob Liefeld were my favorites. Rock and roll music and concert posters dominated my teen years.  Artists like Coop and Frank Kozik introduced me to a new world of art inhabited by the likes of Doze Green, Robert Williams, and Salvador Dali. I studied art at San Diego State University but retired before graduation to pursue a career in waiting tables and tending bar.  After I started making posters for my friends' bands, I progressed to different types of art and have recently trying my hand at colored canvases.  

I call the piece I am donating on Radio Causeway's KCSB's Annual FUNd Drive Celebration, 'Well, Well, Well…'.  Similar to the rest of my collection, I used a large color palate and incorporated many hidden minor details, in an attempt to bring something new and different each time the piece is viewed.  The materials are acrylic based, and came from a brush, pen, and pressurized can. "Well, Well, Well…' tells a story, although it is not necessarily sequential, the characters are all linked together.   Like all of my art this painting represents an emotional release and a time and a place in my life.  Catch me on my death bed and I will tell you the story.